Monday, August 20, 2012

Flying geese in grey and yellow

DSC_1455

Alrighty folks, since summer is winding down and Phoebe will be heading off to preschool in two weeks (!!!Yay!!!), I'm hoping to get up to date and share some projects that have been keeping me busy these past few months...

DSC_1463

One of my cousins is having her first baby next month (a girl - yay!), and is planning her nursery around the palette of grey and yellow.  I've always wanted to do a flying geese quilt - plus, my good friend Brenda just told me about this amazing ruler that makes absolutely perfect flying geese blocks - four at a time!  The Quilt in a Day Flying Geese rulers come in a large or a small size, and you have the option to make two different sizes with each ruler as well!  Even better?  I picked mine up at Joann's with a coupon.  This quilt was made with the large ruler and the finished block size is 4" x 8".

DSC_1471

The block layout - as well as fabric choices - were completely random.  I'm actually pretty terrible about planning out my quilts in advance.  I like to just move everything around for a couple of hours after all of the blocks are finished.  I quilted it in straight lines that change direction when they hit the middle of the quilt - following the diagonal; and I backed in it one of my favorite folksy flannel prints.  Soft and warm for a fall baby!

DSC_1457

My sister was my lovely quilt holder for this photoshoot, and as you can see, she took her job very seriously :)

DSC_1467

Thanks, Abby.

@cmibrown

And here's my cousin Jess opening the quilt.  I love you Jess, and can't wait to meet your precious little baby!

4 comments:

  1. Em! I LOOVE the quilt, but not as much as I LOOOOOVE you! Thanks for this precious gift - Hudson will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great quilt! Lucky Jess and baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favorite quilts ever - i love those yellows and grays SO MUCH. gorgeous! thanks for the flying geese tip; i just made my first "practice" swoon block (well it's almost done anyway) and as i individually sewed and pressed each flying goose i knew there had to be a better way... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete